Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Kidnap Capital World Tour Day Thirteen
Little Missy Gets Her Fashion Comeuppance in Riyadh
 
I no longer heart the little black dress.  It will always remind me of my Saudi Arabian black robe.  Instead of dwelling on why I do not heart it here, I will first and foremost tell you that a dear friend is intercepting this and posting it for me as I cannot get to my blog.  It is in Arabic all of a sudden, which is written right to left!  With a script which resembles my own handwriting which is to say illegible--but so elegant!  Is this censorship?  Oh my, I cannot even fathom it.  I will tell you about some of the interesting characters on the trip with me.  First, there is Dr. Eric Weiss and his wife Jackie.  They are the only couple I will name because Eric is the doctor on the trip!  And he has had to work!  So much wheezing and coughing.  Then a waiter walked through a plate glass door in Burma while we were all watching the Super Bowl.  Yes, Stanford managed to get us the Super Bowl in a place that did not have Internet!  We were eating guacamole and chips at six in the morning and going berserk over the game and it was all too much for the waiter and he tried to get away from us!  But he got derailed and really ripped up his leg.  But Dr. Eric, head of Stanford Hospital Emergency Medicine was right on the scene.  Just like he was the day I had my head on car crash and woke up to him looking over at me in the Stanford ER room.  I told him I had a party I had to go to in three days and he told me I wasn't going anywhere.  So I told him I really had to go to this party (Balenciaga at the de Young.)  So Dr. Eric sent a Psychiatric Social Worker over to me because he thought I was crazy!  But the social worker agreed with me!  I should be able to go to my party!  I spent a year getting the 1950 Eisa gown ready for this big night.  I went. Enough of that.  Anyway I thought Dr. Eric would be a Debbie Downer on this trip but he turns out to be fun loving and his wife Jackie writes an official blog for the group.  This is the unofficial blog.  Then there is Miles!  He is a 29 year old movie star who looks like Tom Cruise dreams he could look like.  Miles even gave the commencement speech when he graduated from "a School in the East Coast." Harvard????  Why couldn't he just say so?  Why did he have to call it a School on the East Coast?  Never mind--he is beauty and brains personified and he confided to me that he wants to get married and start a family. Do I look like someone who wants to hear that?  I guess so!  I cannot fail to mention Carol. She is an infamous divorcee from NYC who got a huge settlement after years of public squabbling with her hedge fund husband and now spends her time rock climbing, skiing and crying over the breakup of her relationship with a newspaper writer. I have not heard her say a mean word about anyone but then she only has time to think about herself and her ex-boyfriend.  She has chosen me be her confidante.  It is tough work being on this trip and having to hear all this stuff. So far the only advice I have given her is to wear lipstick and find a therapist. I wrote in my last posting that I would have more thoughts about Burma.  I do.  But I do not think Riyadh is the place to be discussing politics The food and shopping are so good here, who cares about politics? I think I need to pack it in for the night because tomorrow we are getting up early to fly eight hundred miles away from Riyadh to look at horses--Arabian horses.  Imagine that!
Little Missy Went to Her Party (with Hamish Bowles, photographed by Frederic Aranda)

No comments:

Post a Comment